April 14, 2009

First Experiments with Grasshopper

Last weekend I decided to learn Grasshopper in an attempt to parameterize my ongoing design studio explorations. The tests below represent my first attempt at the software.

The parametric world of Grasshopper forced me to consider each piece of geometry and its associated data set as a highly fluid, yet inherently precise component to play with. On one hand I found myself unable deploy geometry in the familiar yet relatively arbitrary way that manual modeling allows. On the other hand, the capacity for variable automation allows for rapid generation of highly complex geometry sets.

I see tremendous potential for this software to be utilized as a method for quickly prototyping design solutions at variable scales across the length of a design project - from schematic massing models to the co-ordination of fabrication geometries.